Monday, January 9, 2012


On Monday we had orientation, which was a campus tour and a small presentation about our program. It was great to meet the rest of the student in the program, there are about thirty of us in total.  The campus is really pretty! There is a huge lake with trees surrounding it nearby and of course there are mountains in the background wherever you look. I was able to get my uniform later in the afternoon and now I am all set to go to class tomorrow.  I have to wear a white short sleeve blouse and black skirt everyday to class. But it’s nice to have to wear it because only students can wear the outfit, its illegal for people who aren’t students to do so. So when I wear it people know I’m a student and not just a tourist. Once back at the apartment a group of us went to rooftop pool to soak up some sunshine. Did I mention it’s 88 degrees and sunny?  

Entrance to Chiang Mai University
Then later that night my roommate Heather and I went to “Big C” which is kind of like a mall within a Walmart.  To get there we took a red taxi, which is basically a red pick up truck with seats in the back. What we weren’t expecting was it to go on the highway with us in back, but it did! That was slightly frightening but exciting. We got sheets and other things there, however they only sell fitted sheets and comforters, no actual sheets to go over you, I looked I promise! Also we had to buy toilet paper. First for at our apartment and second to carry with us because they do not have toilet paper in their bathrooms. There is a lot to get used too! On the way home we tried to bargain down the price of our ride, but only managed to get it down 10 baht. (30 baht = 1 dollar approx. ) We got home and went out to eat at the market near campus, I got a noodle dish with some fish balls… not digging the fish balls yet. I’m still trying to work on adjusting to the time difference (I’m 12 hours ahead) so after that it was lights out!

   
Heather and I in the Red Truck  

Riding in the red truck on the highway .. and on the left side of the road!

Heather looking out the Red Truck window

No comments:

Post a Comment